Friday, May 29, 2009

Spring turns to Summer

Listening to M83 "The Highest Journey"

May's grand finale is pending.  The weather has taken a turn for the best this past month.  I still have yet to complete my Visa application for Scotland, but seeing as though I have had maybe 1 day-off a week and two straight weeks of family guests, it's not all that surprising.  It also doesn't help that I don't have a printer, as many of these forms must be filled out by hand.  

Well, on Wednesday, Barcelona beat Manchester United convincingly in the Champions League finale.  What a match.  Given the recent past of English v English and Italian v English finales, this year's proved a most enjoyable one to watch.  Enjoyable that is if you were a Barcelona fan.  If you were a Man Utd fan, you should be questioning your loyalty to Sir Alex Ferguson.  Barcelona were not favourites in Wednesday's match.  With Abidal and Dani Alves out, the fear in the Barcelona camp was that Cristiano, Rooney, and Berba would be free to stroll right up to Valdez and punish the Catalan's in a big way.  Not so.  Sylvinho was pure class, as was Puyol on the outside right flank.  Toure looked a little lost at times in the center, but Xavi and Iniesta helped create plenty of chances for St. Samuel de Afrique and Lio Lio Lio Messi!  The title was well won.  If I was a more objective "journalist" I would comment on Man Utds lack of performance, but, seeing as though I was working the entire time the game was on, I only had the wherewithal to give Barca my attention.  Go to any English-run sports media outlet for a review of Man Utd's representation of the Premiership and all things gloriously boring in football.  Peh!

In other news, Celtic's failed to win the title.  Oh, well.  Sometimes I really wonder why I love watching/following Celtic.  They play really boring football, but they are my favourite team.  I guess it's my connection to the history.  Oh wait, I remember, Henrik Larsson.  Short story even shorter, I'm crossing my fingers that Celtic sign the Croatia coach , who I would name, but it seems as though our Comcast has frozen again, sweet.

The Giro is wrapping up.  Poor Vandevelde and Horner.  I think I'm mostly impressed with Sastre.  Not that he has a chance to really win the Giro, but he sure is proving that he's got what it takes to break the pack when the road goes up.  Levi's a schmuck, or I should say, afraid to attack, and that's why he won't find his skinny ass on the podium.

I think I'm going to leave this spotty post where it is.  Somewhat unfinished.

Until next time, which will hopefully not be more than a month,

~Opie

No comments:

Post a Comment