Thursday, April 30, 2009

Opie's World?

Listening to MGMT, "Time to Pretend"

Sunny May's upon me, but I've come down with a cold.  At least I hope it's a cold and none of this Swine Flue nonsense.  I hope to utilize this Blog in the coming months as a venue for the written expression of my being.  This post is merely a test of Blogspot's text and layout functions.  It is most intriguing to me that as soon as I begin to write something, all that creative energy I swear I possess bleeds through my fingertips and I'm left with not much to say and a very dirty room to occupy my gaze.  Speaking of which, I really need to clean this place.  

Well a bit about me I guess.  I am towards the last three months of my "gap year".  For the uninformed, a "gap year" is the middle-class's year-long version of Spring Break.  I would like to think that I have something meaningful to add to society, but for the moment, I am indulging my inner cyclist by working at a bicycle shop.  It's a good life.  Aside from the fact that I spend a majority of my pay-check on components and take-out food, I would like to think that I am progressing.  Maybe?  Maybe not.  At the still tender age of 23, I've got a lot to learn.  Especially budgeting.  Ugh.  Life looms large.

This coming fall--also known as Autumn on the other side of the Atlantic--I am headed to the University of Glasgow to pursue a degree an MLitt. Scottish Studies.  Hopefully my experiences in Scotland will help me grab life by the horns of the haggis-beast and propel me to bigger things.  I really want my time in Scotland to be the actualization of my dreams.  Ultimately I want to prepare myself to be an incredibly good-looking historian con-cyclist.  Ideally in 5 years, I will be on my way to teaching history courses, leading summer history/bike study abroad trips for university students from Americá, all the while writing travel books and setting up a cycling development center in the U.K.  My linguistic pursuits will include Scots, Gaelic, and Spanish.  It embarrasses me to this day that I didn't embrace my American heritage by learning Spanish.  Oh well, to be amended in the future.

Until my arrival, I will use this particular blog sparringly.  Hopefully in the next few weeks I'm going to set up another BlogSpot with my compadres here in PDX that will cover books, sports, movies, music, etc.  That way I'll be able to let you know what I really think about stage 5 of the Tour de France.  Buckle up, this edition's headed to Barcelona.  Does that mean a Basque rider is going to try hard for the win?  I realize Barcelona is in Catalonia, but Euskatel is one of Spain's two-best teams, and boy are they proud.  I digress.

Until next time,

~Opie.




No comments:

Post a Comment